Healthy eating and exercise are important to improve overall health, but then, so is finance. When personal financces are in order, there is less stress — and when there is less stress, there is better health. Health and finance are based on numbers, both require monitoring, and one impacts the other. Here are a few quirky ways that I’ve found to improve one’s outlook, appearance, mood, and yes, even the budget:
- Before going out to a restaurant, eat something. That way, the tendency to overeat is lessened, plus it’s cheaper.
- Stretch at least four to five days a day, first thing in the morning. It’s a healthy way to wake up and it promotes a leaner look. Examples of stretching exercises are on the Mayo Clinic website.
- For leaner looking abs, practice holding your stomach in. This simple act can be done anytime, anywhere, sitting, and standing, and it’s a cheap and easy way to improve overall health!
- Stand on one foot when waiting in line at the grocery store or when putting gas in the car. It’s a simple move that promotes balance — and people won’t even notice.
- Practice smiling every day in the mirror because it is a nice way to start to the day.
- Add herbs and spices to food to increase nutritional value, taste and variety. Who knew cloves are tasty in a smoothie!
- When hungry for a snack, reach for something without a wrapper – even if it’s packaged in an individual-sized serving. A piece of fruit or a vegetable is almost always cheaper and healthier than food from a vending machine
- Simplify life by simplifying daily routines. Look for unnecessary practices, spend less time in the car, and accumulate fewer things.
- Downsize possessions by selling or giving away what isn’t needed. Decide what to sell at a garage sale what to give to a favorite charity. Downsizing one’s lifestyle frees up hard-earned resources so that income can be used for more than just living expenses.
- Learn to cook – from scratch! Keep food staples at home so that it takes very little time and effort to whip up a tasty, nutritious meal. Cooking is a perfect family activity because it combines a common goal for all members, and teaches basic meal-planning, shopping, and clean up.
I’d love to hear your suggestions to improve overall health, so feel free to comment!