Eating a vegan diet is now a permanent part of our lifestyle. Over the last nine months, we have fully transitioned away from eating foods that contain meat and dairy. However, it hasn’t always been that way. These dietary changes took time and dedication. Even though the ultimate goal was for health reasons, there were times when we would have to fight the occasional urges. But as we continued our quest, temptations became less frequent and now we don’t miss them at all! Here are a few ideas that helped us stay on course:
- Keep cut up veggies and fruits in the fridge for easy snacking
- Prepare enough food on the week-end for a couple of meals
- Try different recipes to prevent boredom from setting in. Click here for one of our favorites.
- Buy fresh herbs instead of dried; examples are dill, cilantro, fennel, basil and thyme
- Experiment with different spices to awaken our taste buds
- Use a variety of grains such as quinoa, black or brown rice, bulgur, millet, polenta, and farro
- Don’t wait too long to eat when you’re hungry; then it is difficult to resist the urge to snack on unhealthy fast choices
- Carry healthy snacks with you; for us, it is usually fruit
- Drink water! Sometimes being thirsty can make us feel like we’re hungry
- Purchase a quality nutritional shake mix to add to smoothies. Our favorite is Vega One © and it comes in several flavors.
Your comments are always welcome.